2011 Farr 400
Yacht price :
If you are looking for a turn key 40 foot Carbon Fiber constructed Race boat with Trans Pac / Pac Cup / Newport Bermuda or other offshore point to point races on your bucket list then look no further - Blue Flash has undergone extensive upgrades and add ons is ready NOW to tackle any event you have in mind !
BLUE FLASH Ex - "Rock & Roll" has received Extensive improvements and optimizing design by Greg Stewart of Nelson-Marek Yacht Design, Blue Flash a very special Farr 400 indeed.
ALL CARBON FARR 400 TURBO WITH TWIN WHEELS SUBSTANTIALLY UPGRADED Including extended reverse wave piercing bow, Keel Fin modifications & Deck Stiffing FANTASTIC DOWNWIND AND LIGHT AIR SPEED.
Aggressively price ( Multi Boat Owner is Motivated ) and turn key - ready for any offshore or around the buoys race !
- SAN DIEGO, CA, US
- Available for sale in U.S. waters:
- Vessel Name:
- Blue Flash
- Boat Type:
- Hull Material:
- Hull Type:
- Hull Color:
- Flag of Registry:
Dimensions & Weight
- 40 ft - 12.19 meter
- 40 ft - 12.19 meter
- 11 ft 3 in - 3.43 meter
- Draft - max:
- 9 ft 6 in - 2.9 meter
- Bridge Clearance:
- Dry Weight:
- Volvo Penta
- Cruise Speed:
- Joystick Control:
- Engine Type:
- Drive Type:
- Fuel Type:
- 27 (Individual), 27 (combined)
- Max Speed:
- Total Cabins:
- Total Berths:
- Total Sleeps:
- Total Heads:
- Captains Cabin:
- Crew Cabins:
- Crew Berths:
- Crew Sleeps:
- Crew Heads:
Farr 400 BlueFlash upgrades
In preparation for Transpac 2017 the entire boat was stripped and painted. ALL lines, blocks, mast and deck fasteners were replaced. New offshore systems were custom designed and installed by top professionals (SD Boatworks, Brad Fitzgerald, Artie Means, Rick Metzger, Upgrade Marine)
Post Transpac the entire keel step and steering systems were rebuilt to become "bulletproof" for offshore racing. Engineering by Farr Yacht Design, Built by Brad Fitzgerald. The boat has both inshore and offshore modes: All string drop/hatch roller etc easily installed. Quick release fittings to remove bladders/galley module/pipe berths The sail inventory has Mainsail/J1/2/3/Masthead Zero/A1/2/3/5 All in racing condition (old sails have been retired))
Complete documention of All maintenance (since new), upgrades, systems, Rating certificates (multiple ORR and PHRF modes), Invoices etc. in 56 folder Google drive
- Southern Spars Carbon chafe tubes to protect EC6 carbon standing rigging
- All new Southern Spars rig hangers
- New port EC6 Shrouds (2018)
- New custom SS low chafe spin pole end fitting manufactured by SD Boatworks
- All on deck blocks replaced with Harken (Runners, jib, spin, main, etc).
- New Harken jib tracks.
- Custom Antal rings for Zero/reaching sails.
- RopeEye Soft loops for aft spin blocks Mast/Boom/Deck completely stripped and All fasteners replaced and properly bedded with Tef Gel by SD Boatworks
- Protect anti chafe tape to headstay/ boom/ mast
- New Harken Carbo foil forestay
- New custom machined SS forestay bolts by SD Boatworks.
- Custom GS Carbon Mast/Deck fittings Engineered by Ryon Warren Composites/Built Rick Metzger
- Enterpac Hydraulic mast jack serviced with new seals.
- Inshore spectra and offshore wire lifelines.
- Custom Dual Helm platforms with Upwind/Downwind settings by SD Boatworks
- Custom carbon cockpit offshore foot chocks (x6) for all trimmers
- Custom Aluminum Powder coated Black Helm grab bars to protect wheels/driver by Thomas Marine
- Custom Raptor Deck to entire Cockpit and Interior.
- Custom canvas foredeck hatch cover/spray skirt for companioway
- Custom waterproofing delrin fittings for all thru deck line penetrations on foredeck
- Custom Carbon Radar (Radar Dome Not Included- pre wired)/Antenna post
- Cockpit bilge pump replaced and relocated near helm on starboard
- Bulkhead Ritchey lighted back up compass installed on aft cabin trunk with
- New jacklines
- New lifeline pads
- Complete set custom line bags cockpit
INTERIOR MODIFICATIONS FOR OFFSHORE
- Custom bilge pump systems: 1-manual, 2-automatic, Independent roving system
- Custom Carbon Bow partial bulkhead isolates bow in the event of collision
- Farr designed Carbon Galley module installed with custom gimballed JetBoil and Carbon "sink" meeting offshore regulations
- Custom Galley and Nav Station Phisotex storage pouches
- New pipe berths covers in Phisotex (x4)
- Custom Carbon Floorboard
- Flying foxes to all interior line purchase systems
- Hella fans installed (x4) at Nav, Galley, Rear berths
- Water tank bladders installed (x3) (Easily configurable to go from normal to Transpac (starboard bias) modes)
- Custom Aluminum Autopilot bracket (removable) for deliveries
- Entire boat painted inside and out, keel to mast tip, at Shelter Island Boatyard
- Mast/ boom clear coated.
- Bottom Proline Epoxy/Antifouling in black with white highlights to rudder and keel to see weed (viewing port in hull)
- Artie means electrical/electronics
- Entire electrical system rewired
- New custom fold out electrical panel with new breakers
- New lithium ion battery bank and charging.
- New Ethernet and NMEA 2000 backbones.
- New sat phone, antenna, cell router, Toughbook communication systems
- Prewired for B&G Zeus Chartplotter
- Primary Istar GPS.
- Prewired for Radar
- New BG AIS Transponder (redundancy with separate AIS receiver in VHF)
- New BG VHF with wireless remote Custom charging stations for computer, sat phone, vhfs
- New Ultralight lunasea masthead tricolor and wire.
- New Lopo LED running lights bow and stern.
- New North 3DI Genoa Staysail on custom removable Spectra stay with on deck adjustable purchase
- Glowfast stripes added to all Upwind sails/Painted Chevrons to all Kites
- Double Reef Offshore setup with Spinlock integral boom clutches and tails to pit winch
- North Sails San Diego added double reef to 3DI Offshore Main
- North Sails San Diego added single reef to 3DI Coastal Main.
- Karver Furler for Zero
- New Volvo engine mountsr/belts/filters etc.
- New Cockpit Engine Control Panel and Spinlock throttle control.
- Standard Alternator
- Complete offshore Engine spares kit
The asymmetric deck layout follows modern Grand Prix race boat practice for high efficiency and fast maneuvers. A primary grinder pedestal system allows for high speed spinnaker gybes, sail hoists and string line spinnaker drops. These efficiencies combined with the high stability hull form and ballast package allow the boat to be raced successfully with an intended crew
Constuction utilizes the latest materials and techniques to maximize performance within reasonable ownership costs, including infused carbon fibre hull and deck. The composite sheathed metal fin keel with lead bulb is easily removed for transportation. The steering system and carbon rudder have been designed to accommodate both tiller and twin wheel steering. Blue flash is set up with twin wheels that have been configured to work as single unit in the event of a failure of either the port or starboard wheel.
DECKGEAR The carbon pedestal and two carbon primary winches are the heart of the FARR 400. These tools allow for TP52 style racing. The power and line speed that is generated by this combination allow for ultra-fast hoists, gybes, and douses
DECK LAYOUT - The Farr 400 is aggressively designed deck for function and aesthetics - Asymmetric starboard cabin side to allow direct line pit functions minimizing line friction - Aerodynamic and comfortable sheer radius detail
- Generous oversized cockpit
- Proven winch spacing and general layout based on GP42
WINCHES Pedestal driven six speed primary winches. Superior winch speed on asymmetric spinnaker gybes Winch driven spinnaker hoist
The FARR 400 is entirely built in carbon fiber/epoxy sandwich construction, making it one of the first carbon production sailboats in the world. All major geometry is created by precision 5 axis milling which is usually only available for Grand Prix and America's Cup projects. This ensures that the highly optimized geometry of the hull, keel and rudder are carried through the production process and into the final design with consistently accurate tooling. Hull, deck, and interior structure are fabricated with vacuum infusion technology to ensure high fiber volume ratios and reduce weight variation. Composite stanchions, pushpit, and pulpit minimize weight. An aerofoil section pushpit reduces windage and creates improved aesthetics.
- All major components of the hull, deck, and structure are optimized carbon/epoxy construction.
- Hull, deck, and interior structure are fabricated with vacuum infusion technology to ensure high fiber ratio and constant part weight.
- All major tooling has been created by precision 5 axis milling.
- Weight is strictly controlled using SP High Modulus B3 Smart Pac design. The B3 Smart Pac is a three dimensionally designed fiber and core package that is tailor made for the FARR 400. This package ensure that every boat has exactly the same amount of materials to guarantee optimized construction and one-design uniformity.
- 2011 ISO standards and Category 2 standards.
The lines of the FARR 400 have been styled for high performance and to project a dynamic and modern image.
The full stem and powerful forebody provide dynamic lift when sailing at high speed reflecting the latest in design supported by CFD research.
Moderate topside flare is limited to max beam for transportation considerations.
Powerful stern sections incorporate a partial chine for improved high speed handling and reduced drag Refined low drag hull form designed to operate comfortably at higher heel angles to maximize efficiency of the deep keel whilst still achieving high performance downwind.
MODIFICATIONS to BLUEFlash
Bow modified to add finer entry with slight reverse design = Improved Surfing and reduced water on deck and below
RIG, STANDING AND RUNNING RIGGING
- Southern Spars Carbon Grand Prix Mast.
Keel stepping - Keel-stepped carbon mast and boom. Double spreaders in carbon with a 22 degree sweep.
Powerful modern square head mainsail. Spinnaker inventory flown from retractable centerline sprit
Twin topmast backstays allow for control of mast and forestay tension in a broad range of sailing conditions
Split mast construction to permit easy transport.
Carbon fibre standing rigging for weight savings and simpler storage for shipping and transport.
Full Carbon mast including aero foil shaped spreaders
Continuous EC6 carbon rigging
Double running backstays
Carbon Grand Prix deep section boom
Jib halyard lock
Two masthead sheaves
Two fractional sheaves
Internal mast jack to tune rig
Adjustable mast base
Painted black mast and boom finish
Windex light on rig
- Retractable carbon centerline bow sprit.
- Deck Gear.
Harken and Lewmar Racing and HTX Line Blocks
Adjustable jib tack
Adjustable in/out cars and up/down jib clew
Spinlock XX & XCS Clutches
Lewmar Athwartship Carbon Pedestal with Overdrive Gearbox
Lewmar Winches (NOTE- all ASTOR winches black anodized)
- 1 x Utility: 48 ASTOR
- 2 x Primary: 60 GP Carbon (Pedestal Driven)
- 2 x Mainsheet: 50 ASTOR
- 2 x Backstay: 48 ASTOR
- 7 x One-handed Lewmar Handles
Composite stanchions and pulpit to minimize excess weight
Air foil shaped composite pushpit for reduced drag
Dyneema life lines (New September 2016)
- UNDER DECK LINE SYSTEMS
Jib Clew and Tack Control
German Mainsheet system, runs forward, then down port and starboard
decks for trimming on either or both P & S winches
Spinnaker tack line
- STEERING AND RUDDER
Double Carbon Wheel
Pre-preg carbon stock on emergency tiller
Female molded and infused carbon blade
Jefa self-aligning top and bottom rudder bearings
Epoxy racing finish
- T-BULB KEEL- modified
Fabricated high grade steel fin with female molded composite fairing
Bolted on lead T bulb for easy removal
Integrated weed knife (kelp cutter)
BLUEFlash Keel fin modified to have a wider cord length down low =
improved upwind performance and faster tacking and acceleration out of tacks & jibes
- Volvo Penta Diesel D1-30 with Sail Drive
- Standard Alternator
- Rigid 60L fuel tank
- 2 blade Gori foldable racing propeller
- Batteries - changed out to Litium ion. see UPGRADES
- 12 Volt distribution/circuit breaker panel
- Bilge Pump
- ISAF approved running lights
- Low weight carbon saloon benches - painted blue to match hull with softdeck
- Softdeck nonskid material on cabin soles
- Custom carbon nav table to port with storage
- Racing galley available but not installed
- Chemical toilet
- 4 pipe berths
- Red and white interior lighting
- Low weight 75L bladder water tank
- Manual pump system
- 2 Pipe berths on each side - located aft to port and starboard
COMPLETE STATE-OF-THE-ART SAIL INVENTORY
Sails for every wind range and direction (North 3Di and RAW) including overlapping jib (155%), oversized spinnakers, fractional and masthead Code Zero on furler, Velcro & zipper banding system.
SAIL INVENTORY - BLUE FLASH
MAINSAILS: DEL DATE: NOTES:
Delivery Main Dacron Nov 2011
Heavy Main 3Di Aug 2014 Used in Island Race 2017
Class Main 3Di Jan 2015 Lt use/Like new
JIBS: DEL DATE: NOTES:
J1-2 Light 3Di Aug 2103 Ok
J1-3 Light 3DI Raw Apr 2015 Very good
J2-3 Medium 3Di Raw Apr 2016 New / One regatta
J3-2 Heavy 3Di Aug 2014 Very good
J4-1 Heavy 3Di Nov 2011 Ok/ Next to replace
J155 Aramid Dec 2014 Very good
Genoa Staysail Jul 2017 Like new
SPINNAKERS: DEL DATE: NOTES:
A1-2 VMG NYL .4oz Nov 2015 Very good
A2-5 SF SK75 Aug 2016 Good /Repaired
A2-VMG2 Airx650 Jul 2016 New 3 hr use
A3-2 Poly Nov 2015 Very good
A5-Frac Airx900 1.5 Nov 2011 Very good
CODE ZERO: DEL DATE: NOTES:
Masthead w/furler Dec 2015 Used once
MANY OTHER SAILS - Complete spreadsheet with comments available
HULL AND KEEL IMPROVEMENTS AND MODS
In 2015 Greg Stewart (Nelson-Marek Yacht Design) was hired to design and oversee modifications to "Rock & Roll." Stewart designed a new bow section and improved design for the keel fin as well. Westerly Marine performed the modifications with Stewart's oversight. The bow improvements added better performance, details are available upon request.
Bow modification that was within the forward 15% and allowed 400mm to be added to the forward end of LOA there by fining up the entry.
Bow extended 16" at waterline.
Substantial improvement in wave-handling, both
upwind and downwind. Big improvement in downwind speed.
Major reduction in water ingress.
Keel modified Dec 2015, adding 5.5" at bottom of fin (See diagram in photos)
Big improvement in acceleration out of tacks and jibes and upwind lane holding
Carbon Cross Beam under deck and (see photo)
Deck Hold-Down System. 2 Rods and heavy hardware
Eliminate deck flexing when tightening rig
Sophisticated instrument package:
B&G ELECTRONICS WITH COMPUTER, POLARS, TARGETS
Seven displays (five on mast and two aft), Three spares
GYRO COMPASS, PERFORMANCE PROCESSOR, WIFI
Hercules Motion Pack, Halcyon Gyro Compass, Digital Loadcell Amplifier,GPS System with Ethernet
B&G HYDRAULIC AUTOPILOT, EASILY INSTALLED AND REMOVED
Camera on rudder (covers lower 3/4)
Toughbook computer integrated into B&G System. Includes data files, targets, polars, Expedition Software
VHF with detachable cockpit microphone, AIS receiver
Nav table with computer wiring
New electrical panels with breakers instead of fuses
Cigar lighter 12v
ipad with ventus software (Displays all B&G functions)
Recent running rigging
Racing bottom with epoxy
Custom stainless steel kelp cutter
Two additional bilge pumps installed
SS Plate for Halyard Blocks next to mast:
Substantial platform for deck hold-down system.
Also eliminates leak around thru-deck fittings for mast-base blocks
Carbon Frame for steering system:
Cross post and vertical frame supports to eliminate flex in steering system
Harken metal inserts and cuben tape to protect tuff luff
Custom foot braces for mainsheet trimmer
Simplified and improved traveler system
2/1 tack line system
Custom sheet bags for jib controls
Custom mast shims
Custom Pole-Out system with clutch, permits free use of two tack lines
Heavier Cables on foot buttons
Ronstan Sheet Bags
Upgraded Blocks for mainsheet, runners, traveler, etc...
PVC covers to protect lifelines & shrouds
Many Spare Parts:
Southern spars runner
Gas Shocks for Vang
Engine Parts (filters, belt, impeller)
Spare lines (halyards, sheets, reef lines, tack line, runner tails)
Spare B&G Displays- 1 GPD Pilot, 1 GFD and 1 20/20
JK3 Nautical Enterprises offers the details of this vessel in good faith . We try to be as through as possible with equipment and inventory specs on the listed vessel, but we cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. The buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated.
This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
FARR 400 BLUE FLASH